Understanding Your Automotive

Becoming a commercial driver - what you need to know

While many people drive for pleasure or just to get from A to B, those who particularly enjoy driving or are looking to upgrade their skills might want to consider becoming a commercial driver. Whether you want to move goods around a warehouse or trek across the country delivery supplies, there are plenty of opportunities to do what you enjoy and make money along the way. However, in many countries, and here in Australia, you can't just hop on and start driving; you'll need some sort of licence. While it may seem like a complex set of regulations and paperwork, the steps to getting qualified, whether that's a truck licence or a forklift licence, are actually quite simple. Here's what you need to know to get onto the roads.

Find out what you want to do and how to get there

Depending on what type of driving you want to do, you'll need different types of heavy vehicle licence. If you want to stick to warehouses and industrial spaces, then a forklift licence should be enough. However, if you want to do any type of long distance haulage you need a truck licence. In Australia, you'll need to attend a training school to get the basic knowledge for your qualification to drive a forklift, and then separately apply to your local state for the actual licence through the WorkSafe organisation that's part of your local state government.

Finding a training centre is easy enough, but finding a reputable one can be trickier. Be sure to check local reviews to ensure they will be able to provide you with the correct training, and most importantly a proof of attainment that you can then submit to the authorities.

Are you fit enough?

Before you can apply for a licence, it's worth considering if you're fit enough to go through the process, for both a forklift licence or a truck licence. This doesn't mean a healthy diet however! Most states will have strict requirements on who can hold a licence, and whether you are 'fit' for the road or warehouse. Your local state authority will have more information, but generally you will need: